Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Running Continues

The Running Woman Pictures, Images and Photos
Today's post is an update on my adventure in running.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Meghan and Claire have inspired me to begin running as opposed to doing my usual power walk. Taking Meg's advise I began by running 4 minutes and walking for one. (I have been told this is called the Galloway Method.) The first day I tried it I could run for only two cycles of 4 to 1 (on the treadmill with a warm up and cool down). After that I was spent!

This week I was able to do 5 "cycles" of 5 to 1!!! It's amazing how quickly the body responds to exercise. As a yoga teacher I've always been amazed at how quickly we are able to gain flexibility but in the last couple of weeks I see that quick gains are not exclusive to yoga. Every time I have run whether on the treadmill or outside, it has become easier for me.

I encourage you to get some sort of exercise...whatever suits you. I will continue to keep you "posted" on my progress. Hopefully next time I will be able to report some sort of WEIGHT LOSS as a result of all this running!!! Is anybody out there working on losing the "Holiday" weight like I am????? I'd love to hear WHAT you are doing and how you are progressing.

3 comments:

Effie said...

Lisa,
I am loving your updates on running. I have run on and off my whole life. I got back in to "serious" running about 3 years ago. I remember when I could barely run for 10 minutes without stopping. In the past 3 years I have run multiple 5Ks (winning awards in some), a half-marathon (13.1 miles), and ran 1 full marathon (26.2 miles), trained for another but was in the hospital (long story) the Friday before the race and wasn't able to run. I am getting ready to run another full marathon in about a month. Amazing, I never knew that I could do this! Keeep up the good work. Look forward to more updates.

Anonymous said...

that animated man running is making me tirrreddddd lol. :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I have started running a little. I do the stair climber and the elliptical at the gym. I am a awkward runner and have asked a runner at our gym to give me some help. I will letyou know if it helps. I ran sprints yesterday for 30 minutes. I would run as fast as I could for 45 seconds to a minute and then walk fast for 1:30 minutes. At the end I was pretty dead. I am trying to raise my metabolism with intervals. I want to run the Peachtree July 4th. We will see.