Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Saga of the Retractable Dog Leassh: WARNING, Graphic Photo!

My sister Melanie asked me to blog this story in order to inform you of the dangers of the retractable dog leash.

Below is a photo of my leg, the result of being caught between 1 dog on a leash and 2 bigger dogs NOT on a leash. The retractable leash is thin and round like a rope. As the dog on the leash tried to get away from the other dogs, the leash wrapped around my leg. The wound was deep, like a burn.

Although I treated it for about 2 weeks with neosporin and saltwater bathes, it still became infected.

I'm happy to report that after 10 days on an antibiotic (4 times a day), silvadine cream, lots of hot water and wrapping it when I leave the house...it's healing nicely. My doctor informed me that it WOULD leave a scar. (Any scar preventing/removing remedies out there????)

Interestingly, when people ask me about my leg, if they have a dog...the have had a retractable leash injury! They are simply dangerous!!!! So my advice to you is to find another type of leash!!!!!

Graphic picture follows:




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scar revision! so sorry that happened! Maybe you could pick bring leg warmers back!

Beth said...

That is awful. What dog did you have, Jack?

Beth said...

Time to remove this picture!